Volunteers are the heart of Pegasus. Without their dedication, loyalty, and hard work, it would not be possible for us to fulfill our mission. There are many individual reasons why people volunteer with us, but all provide the chance to join a thriving, nurturing community whose goal is to positively impact the lives of as many people with needs as possible.
Pegasus offers a wide range of volunteering opportunities. Some require horse experience, but many do not. All we need is your willingness to give of yourself and commit your time. Volunteer opportunities include:
- Program Volunteers: assist by leading horses or walking beside students (sidewalking) during classes. Horse leaders need a general knowledge of horses. Horse leaders are responsible for leading horses during class. Sidewalkers do not need horse experience. They are responsible for communicating with the students and offering them physical and emotional support. Program volunteers should be willing to commit to the same day and time each week and are required to attend our introductory volunteer orientation.
- Barn/Equine Volunteers: assist with general barn chores and work directly with barn staff to care for the horses and get them ready for program (grooming and tacking). \ Riding volunteers are experienced riders who have passed an evaluation qualifying them to help us school and exercise our horses when they are not working in program.
- Farm/Facilities Volunteers: help with general maintenance, repairs, and improvements of the facility, including fence repair, manure management, gardening, and trail maintenance. They are required to attend our introductory volunteer orientation \prior to beginning their work.
- Other Volunteer Opportunities: on an as-needed basis, Pegasus also requires volunteer help with special events, administrative tasks and skilled work such as carpentry, sewing and photography. Depending on the scope of the task(s), special-assignment volunteers may be asked to attend our introductory volunteer orientation and prior to beginning their work.
- Corporate and Civic Volunteer Groups: Pegasus is very fortunate to partner with many corporate and civic groups seeking a meaningful volunteering experience. We welcome the help of local organizations and can assure you your efforts will have a lasting impact on the lives of hundreds of deserving students. Most group volunteer efforts involve farm projects that we design to enhance our students' therapeutic experience, benefit our therapeutic horses or help us maintain a safe and beautiful environment at Pegasus Farm. We are also open to discussing other project ideas with your group.
- Youth Projects Volunteers: As a PATH International Premier Accredited Center, we are required to follow certain guidelines regarding youth volunteers under the age of 13. While they are not permitted to assist in the barn or in program, there are other ways they can help and also fulfill the requirements of their school or religious projects.CLICK HERE for a PDF outlining Youth Projects Volunteer opportunities and CLICK HERE for a Youth Project Volunteer Application.
- Helping Hands Volunteers: Pegasus is often contacted by schools regarding volunteer opportunities for students in their vocational or special education programs. We created the Helping Hands volunteer program with this goal in mind. CLICK HERE for a PDF outlining the Helping Hands volunteer program.
CLICK HERE to view upcoming volunteer orientations.
VIEW/DOWNLOAD a PDF of the Pegasus Volunteer Manual.
VIEW/DOWNLOAD a PDF of the Pegasus Barn Volunteer Manual.
Inquire about volunteering with Pegasus Therapeutic Riding...